Skip to Content Skip to Menu
Michigan Test for Teacher Certification(MTTC)

The registration, user account, and score reporting services on this website will be temporarily unavailable on Tuesday, July 17, between 7:45 a.m. and 12:00 p.m. eastern time, for system maintenance. We apologize for any inconvenience.

What Tests Do I Need to Take?

MTTC Certification Requirements

Elementary-Level Certification

Candidates for an elementary-level teaching certificate must pass the Elementary Education test. Candidates who want to teach specific subject areas in grades 6–8 must also pass the corresponding subject-area tests in order to qualify for the endorsements.

Secondary-Level Certification

Candidates for secondary-level teaching certificates must pass the corresponding subject-area test for each subject area in which they are to be certified. Candidates seeking certification in more than one field of study must take the MTTC subject-area test for each field.

If you are a Michigan student seeking certification for the first time, the required subject-area test is the one that corresponds to your major or minor field of study in an approved teacher preparation program. Subject-area tests correspond to teaching certificate endorsements; it is important to verify with your advisor the endorsement or endorsements that your institution will approve on your behalf and take the appropriate MTTC tests. If you are already certified to teach in Michigan and are seeking an additional endorsement, you must take the subject-area test that corresponds to the endorsement you are seeking.

Certification Requirements for Out-of-State Teacher Candidates

Persons certified to teach in other states or trained at out-of-state institutions must pass the appropriate subject-area tests to be certified in Michigan. However, there are two important exceptions:

  1. You are not required to take the MTTC tests if you hold a teaching certificate from another state and meet all of the following criteria:
    • You have taught successfully for at least three years in a position for which your teaching certificate from the other state was valid.
    • You have earned, after your initial certification in another state, at least 18 semester credit hours in a planned course of study at a state board-approved institution of higher education or you have earned, at any time, a state board-approved master's or doctoral degree.
    • You have met the elementary or secondary, as applicable, reading credit requirement established under state board rules.
  2. If you hold a teaching certificate from another state and meet all of the requirements for a Michigan teaching certificate but do not meet all three of the requirements listed above, you are eligible to receive a one-year nonrenewable temporary teaching certificate without passing the subject-area tests. However, the State Superintendent will not issue a teaching certificate after the expiration of the temporary teaching certificate unless you have passed the appropriate tests.

Out-of-state applicants who are eligible for exceptions 1 or 2 must contact the Michigan Department of Education, Office of Professional Preparation Services, at the address listed in "Contact Us."

Additional Endorsement Applicants

Since September 1, 1993, it has been a requirement that a person holding a Michigan teaching certificate who applies for an elementary-level certificate or for additional endorsements must pass the appropriate tests to become certified.

When to Take the Tests

You may take the subject-area tests as early in your college program as you wish. Check with your academic advisor for further information about when you should take the tests for the MTTC. An academic advisor may request that you wait to take a subject-area test until you have completed at least 90 percent of your coursework in that program.